birding-aus

Impact of climate change on pelagic birding

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Impact of climate change on pelagic birding
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 21:30:30 +1000
Why do you say that a 1.5 to 2C change over 100 years is tiny, Martin? I would have thought a temperature change of that magnitude is quite significant.

Anyhow, the article in question is available at
http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate1353.html

The abstract is as follows:

"Enhanced warming over the global subtropical western boundary currents
• Lixin Wu, • Wenju Cai, • Liping Zhang, • Hisashi Nakamura, • Axel Timmermann, • Terry Joyce,• Michael J. McPhaden, • Michael Alexander, • Bo Qiu, • Martin Visbeck, • Ping Chang • & Benjamin Giese

Nature Climate Change (2012) doi:10.1038/nclimate1353Received 06 May 2011 Accepted 30 November 2011 Published online 29 January 2012

Subtropical western boundary currents are warm, fast-flowing currents that form on the western side of ocean basins. They carry warm tropical water to the mid-latitudes and vent large amounts of heat and moisture to the atmosphere along their paths, affecting atmospheric jet streams and mid-latitude storms, as well as ocean carbon uptake1, 2, 3, 4. The possibility that these highly energetic currents might change under greenhouse-gas forcing has raised significant concerns5, 6, 7, but detecting such changes is challenging owing to limited observations. Here, using reconstructed sea surface temperature datasets and century-long ocean and atmosphere reanalysis products, we find that the post-1900 surface ocean warming rate over the path of these currents is two to three times faster than the global mean surface ocean warming rate. The accelerated warming is associated with a synchronous poleward shift and/or intensification of global subtropical western boundary currents in conjunction with a systematic change in winds over both hemispheres. This enhanced warming may reduce the ability of the oceans to absorb anthropogenic carbon dioxide over these regions. However, uncertainties in detection and attribution of these warming trends remain, pointing to a need for a long-term monitoring network of the global western boundary currents and their extensions."

The point remains that a lot of pelagic birding occurs along the East Australian Current and a 2C warming may have a significant impact on marine activity off SE Australia.

Regards, Laurie.