birding-aus

Scarlet-chested and Orange-bellied Parrots in 24 hrs

To: "'Green'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Scarlet-chested and Orange-bellied Parrots in 24 hrs
From: "Carl Weber" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:13:53 +1100
Fifteen months ago, I was unsuccessfully chasing hooded parrot around Pine
Creek, NT, and was advised to try Nitmiluk NP near Katherine. Went there and
finally heard some distant calls from the road. Chased across country and
got to within 25 m of a flock of about 8 feeding in an area of burnt
grassland. Got them in my bins, and additionally found three Gouldian
finches (including a male) feeding in their midst. Extra pleasing because I
had dipped on Gouldian on a visit to Mornington Sanctuary in 2006.