birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 16 Jan 2012 01:30:26 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 15 Jan 2012.

Sun 15 Jan Australian Hobby Aranda Snow Gums Nature Park
For over half an hour from about 8:30, we watched an Australian Hobby near a nest containing at least one large young Hobby looking about. The adult repeatedly chased off Sulphur-crested Cockatoos which kept returning to the very tall nest tree. This was the same tree and nest we mentioned in what we now regard as a mistaken report of Peregrine Falcons on 20 November 2011. We had excellent views today: the adult's rufous breast was very evident.
Rick Kuhn and Mary Gorman

Sat 14 Jan Swamp Harrier Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
Swamp Harrier (2) Male and female over the wetlands area behind the weir in The Sanctuary
Frank Antram

Pink-eared Duck, Blue-billed Duck, Baillon's Crake, Spotless Crake Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant

Tim Robinson

Superb Parrot Hawker Ovals
About 50 with dependent young
Paul Fennell

Fri 13 Jan Australian Hobby Fyshwick Ponds
Today at theFyshwick ponds a Australian Hobby hunting for small birds,
Roger Williams

Gang-gang Cockatoo Callum Brae
One male, one female near Narrabundah Lane entrance, circa 7 am.
Margaret Leggoe

Thu 12 Jan Spotless Crake Fyshwick sewage treatment works
Photos taken today of a Spotless Crake family. There were 2 adults and 2 chicks.
Roger Williams

Wed 11 Jan Red-capped Robin, Diamond Firetail Mulligans Flat Nature Reserve, Gungahlin
Red-capped Robin (2) brown bird feeding a fledgling Diamond Firetail (6) included at least 2 juveniles
Steve Holliday

Emu Murrays Corner
Grazing in small clearing 20 metres from road. We pulled over quietly but emu looked up and fled.
John K. Layton

Musk Duck Yerrabi Pond
Musk Duck (1) Female
Alastair Smith

Brown Treecreeper, Southern Whiteface, Diamond Firetail Kama Nature Reserve
Brown Treecreeper (3) One with bands Southern Whiteface (2) Diamond Firetail (2) on an otherwise blustery day.
Alastair Smith

Tue 10 Jan White-necked Heron Molonglo River
White-necked Heron (1)
Brendan Sheean

Little Eagle Fyshwick sewage ponds
A singe bird (pale morph) flying over the ponds then over the Kellys Swamp
Roger Williams

Mon 9 Jan Swamp Harrier Cnr Corin Road and Tidbinbilla Road
Swamp Harrier (1) adult
Alastair Smith

Azure Kingfisher Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
Azure Kingfisher observed along the creek down from the platypus viewing platform.
Alastair Smith

White-necked Heron Coree, Uriarra Road/Mountain Creek Road junction
White-necked Heron (1)
Alastair Smith

Sun 8 Jan Whistling Kite Cotter Dam
Whistling Kite (1) 1 seen along Cotter Rd.
Brendan Sheean

Australian Spotted Crake, Spotless Crake Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
Australian Spotted Crake (1) Spotless Crake (1) heard
Alastair Smith

Nankeen Night-Heron, Royal Spoonbill Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
Nankeen Night-Heron (3) Royal Spoonbill (3)
Alastair Smith

Sun 20 Nov Australian Hobby Paddock south of Aranda Bushland
A pair at a large stick nest in tall gum. They both chased off cockies so there may be chicks. [Moderator's comment: Originally reported as Peregrine Falcon but later corrected by observer (15/1/12).]
Rick Kuhn and Mary Gorman

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe