birding-aus

Anecdotal Night Parrot evidence from book

Subject: Anecdotal Night Parrot evidence from book
From: Bruce Greatwich <>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:49:33 +0800
Hi

Recently while reading the book 'Poor Fellow My Country' - written by
Xavier Herbert, i was quite interested in the following extract:

"One of the favoured was *Bilbilgah, *the Night Parrot of the desert
country, who kept a look out for Tchamala during the night and always
reported to to a *gubbindah *(gecko lizard) before dawn, when the flock
went for the one drink they had from dawn till dawn of each day. The
easiest way to find a *gubbindah *hole was to listen for the parrots coming
to drink, because they made a lot of noise about it. However, failing that,
you could pick out the spot by their *goona *on the rock. Because there was
magic in the droppings you could see them in the dark"

I wonder what level of consulatation has been made regarding the Night
Parrot with traditional owners of the land? To be included in stories they
must have had some knowledge of the birds and they certainly sound like the
elusive Night Parrot of today. I hope this knowledge has not been lost in
time.

Cheers
Bruce Greatwich