birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 26 Dec 2011 01:30:34 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 25 Dec 2011.

Sat 24 Dec Oriental Pratincole Turf Farm, Hill Road, Edmonton, Queensland
Very poor distant photo attached
Dominic Chaplin

Fri 23 Dec Barn Swallow Lake McLarty , Western Australia
A quick heads up that Alan Collins found a Barn Swallow at Lake McLarty this morning, in association with Welcome Swallows (250+), initially along the east side about half way up, then later at the south end. Only a few swallows were present on the BAWA walk at McLarty last Sunday, so they seem to be recent arrivals. Hopefully they will stay long enough for anyone interested to check them out for the Barn Swallow.
per John Graff & Alan Collins

Sat 17 Dec Little Penguin South of Timor, Western Australia
Little Penguin seen at sea 70 nm (~140km south of Timor) on the DP DSV Rockwater 2. [Ed note: nearest Atlas records are from Rottnest Is near Perth, over 2000 km south. TD]
Per Rod Smith

Brown Hawk-Owl South of Timor, Western Australia
Brown Hawk-Owl seen at sea 70 nm (~140km south of Timor) on the DP DSV Rockwater 2. The Brown Hawk-Owl was resident on ship for six weeks, until 17th December - the same day the Little Penguin was seen.
Per Rod Smith

Fri 16 Dec Freckled Duck (11) Kangaroo Island, South Australia
During quick checks at least 6 seen at north-west side of Murray Lagoon (Curley Creek Hike) and then another 5 seen at north- west side of Birchmore Lagoon (behind KI Lavendar Farm).
Chris Read

Eurasian Hoopoe Roebuck Roadhouse , Western Australia
The Eurasian Hoopoe was still present yesterday at the Roebuck Roadhouse (16/12/11). Its looking great at the moment having nearly completed its moult. When it was first found it was halfway through moulting its neck and wing coverts. The bird has now progressed through its crest and is now looking pretty smart with its tail now nearly complete. Here are some images I took yesterday of the bird. They are the first 2 images in the gallery with the other photos taken a few weeks earlier. This will be my last update on the bird for a few weeks as I will be away but I think most keen birders who have wanted to see this guy have now ticked him off.
per Adrian Boyle

Wed 30 Nov Asian House Martin, Edible-nest Swiftlet, House Swift, Himalayan Swiftlet North West Point, Christmas Island
An afternoon storm had us all heading to North West Point in search of incoming swifts and we weren't disappointed. In addition to over one hundred Cave (Linchi) Swiftlets, the following two hours produced thirty Asian House Martins, a lone House Swift, four Edible-nest Swiftlets and another larger swiftlet only slightly smaller than House Swift and obviously larger than the nearby 'nest swiftlets'. We obtained two photos and a video, helping to identify this bird as a Himalayan Swiftlet. Adding to the flock which had congregated on the side of Powell Hill, a couple of Fork-tailed (Pacific) Swifts appeared in front of an approaching tropical afternoon storm crossing from nearby Sumatra.
per Richard Baxter

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe