birding-aus

RFI Singapore

To: <>, <>
Subject: RFI Singapore
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:18:39 +1030
Hi Frank,

I signed up for the email updates for Wildbirds Singapore. Very helpful.

I have emailed them a couple of times for info and have found the people on
the forum most helpful. Even had people offer to take me around or at least
meet me somewhere.

As you are there for a weekend I am sure there would be someone to connect
with and give you updates. Re Malayan Plover you would have to scan their
site to see if and had been seen recently?

Re other opportunities,

Hotels are all close to anywhere as Singapore is small and easy to get
around. Taxi's are cheap compared to everything else in Singapore. I've
stayed at the Novotel (upper end) across from Fort Canning - Worth a look
(Garden birds). Also the YWCA is a good (low end) place. And anywhere in
between. Check tripadvisor.com.

Spots I love are:

McRitchie reservoir - or what they call the central catchment area. See
brochure attached.

I do a walk from the Singapore Island Country Club near the tree top walk
(top of the map) down through the rainforest. I get a Taxi to drop me at the
start. When I hit the 'T' Junction I go right for a couple 100 meters to a
small dam. Good spot to wait for Blue-eared Kingfisher. Head back to the 'T'
junction and head on past the tower (as if you had gone left before). You
then hit a board walk. I got Blue-winged Pitta here once. This comes out at
the reservoir. I have had Grey-headed Fish Eagle, Yellow Bittern, Bee-eater,
Chestnut-bellied Malkoha, and a host of other stuff here. Continue on around
the reservoir past the Golf Course (Sime Road GC) and stay in the reserve.
Towards the Main road (Lomie Road) you go through some nice forest - Greater
Racquet-tailed Drongo, Assorted leafbirds, warbler and flycatchers. You can
get a taxi from Lomie road at the Sime Road junction.

This can be done in a couple of hours.

Pulau Ubin.

This is a must. 10  mins from the airport at Changi ferry terminal is a punt
boat to take you across. They leave when they have 12 paying passengers at
2.50 each. Or you can pay the lot if you just want to go. I got there at 7am
and had to wait until 8 for enough people to go.

When you get there (10 mins) head west (left) and walk around the lakes.
Lots of good birding. Go back to the wharf. Hire a bike ($5) and head east
to Chek Jawa. Along the way, good for Red Junglefowl, Stork-billed
Kingfisher, White-rumped Shama, etc. do the ocean boardwalk for waders
(check tide times to time it right) and the mangrove boardwalk is good for
other birds. I have seen Common Flameback, Oriental Cuckoo and Grey nightjar
(check the trees!)

At the town they also do the best steak and black bean I've ever had! $5.

This is a solid day 8am-3pm

Sungai Beloh wetland.

At the top of Singapore across from Malaysia, this is an awesome place for
waders and just about everything.

Allow 5 hours to do it properly!

Other spots are:

Bukit Timah - Up the hill walk. Do early as this gets crowded. Allow 2
hours.

Bukit Batok - Around the park. 2 hours. The only place I have seen
white-capped Laughing thrush.

Singapore Botanic Gardens (see attached) - Lots of stuff. At that time some
of the Thrush and maybe even the Hooded Pitta are still around. Red-legged
Crake around the back of the ponds of the Ginger Garden. 2 hours. Best to go
after 5pm.

Of course if I had 2 days I would get a taxi to the Johor Bahru, hire a car
and head to Kota Tinggi and do Panti Forest. Malaysian Rail-babbler,
Trogons, Barbets, broadbills, and a host of others .... one day...

Cheers

Steve Potter

Adelaide SA

RFI Singapore

from [
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfr
om%3Afoconnor%40iinet.net.au&idxname=birding-aus&sort=date%3Alate> Frank
O'Connor]

[Permanent
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=birding-aus
&i=ad276e%24n9v0v9%40outbound.icp-qv1-irony-out2.iinet.net.au>
Link][Original
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/extract-mesg.cgi?a=bir
ding-aus&m=2011-12&i=ad276e%24n9v0v9%40outbound.icp-qv1-irony-out2.iinet.net
.au> ]

RFI Singapore

Frank O'Connor <>

Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:05:32 +0800

I will have two days to go birding in Singapore in January (20/21). I have
tried two bird guides but they are unavailable (very close to Chinese New
Year 23/24). Is there an email list that I can post a request for
assistance?

Failing that, my main target is Malayan Plover. Does anyone know the best
site for this? Otherwise, what are the better places to go, and how to get
there. e.g. taxi. I don't think that I would wish to hire a car. Can anyone
recommend a hotel close to a birding site?

Thanks in advance