birding-aus

RFI Singapore

To: Frank O'Connor <>
Subject: RFI Singapore
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:01:54 +1100
Frank,

Have a look at http://www.nss.org.sg/wildbirdsingapore/Default.aspx it gives a good selection of birding sites on the island. Chris was right about the NSS forum, but you don't really need a guide or car. The public transport system in Singapore is excellent and cheap, even taxis are well priced. Unfortunately, Malaysian Plover is not very common in S'pore, and was not recorded there till the early 60's. The present population is mainly up around Changi, though suitable habitat is rapidly diminishing due to development. I would suggest catching a number 2 bus from downtown, out to the Changi ferry terminal and have a look along the shore to the east of the ferry terminal in Changi Beach Park. Sungai Buloh, Kranji Marshlands and Mandai Wetlands, all pretty close to each other, are excellent birding spots for wetland and mangrove species. Keep an eye open for crocs, as they are becoming a bit more prevalent. These sites are easily reached by catching the MRT to Kranji station and picking up a cab. Sungai Buloh unfortunately does not open till 09:00 and it is already getting a bit warm by then, so I would look at getting to Kranji early and have a look around Kranji and Mandai wetlands first. Most cabbies would be happy to arrange to come back and pick you up at an appointed time to take over to S.Buloh.

For non-wader birding, the Botanic Gardens are worth 2-3 hours and is handy to downtown.

If you would like any other info, don't hesitate to contact me off list.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford