birding-aus

Grebes mistake car park for lake

To: brian fleming <>, Carl Clifford <>, "" <>
Subject: Grebes mistake car park for lake
From: Vader Willem Jan Marinus <>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:29:09 +0000
Here in Northern Norway we now and then, particularly after storms, have
similar problems with alcids, particularly the Little Auk (or Dovekie) Alle
alle. When they land in the snow, it is impossible for them to fly up again,
and they are dependent on people to rescue them and bring them to open
water---which in winter may necessitate a long drive to the nearest fjord.. We
occasionally also have had Atlantic Puffin in the same predicament, but by far
the majority of these victims are Little Auks. But in our case they are really
victims of the wind, not birds that miscalculate and believe wet asphalt etc
are water surfaces.

           Wim Vader, Tromsø Museum

           9037 Tromsø, Norway