birding-aus

Grebes mistake car park for lake

To: "" <>
Subject: Grebes mistake car park for lake
From: Roger McNeill <>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:49:27 -0800 (PST)
I have actually experienced this a few times and expect it is not uncommon.
While living in the states I picked up a Common Loon off a country road deep in
the mountains of North Carolina, it was a migrant and the previous night was a
full moon...Loons are only passage migrants through this area.  When in NZ two
years ago in the "pelagic capital of Kaikoura" I drove around the town and
picked up over 30 Hutton's Shearwarters off the main highway and dropped them
backinto the surf.  The following day there were many squished birds along the
roadside...then last year we had a Whistling-duck thud onto the tin roof of our
cottage out in Samford...however this was an almost a moonless night.

Cheers,

Roger

Roger McNeill
Samford Valley, SEQ