birding-aus

What is the function of Channel-billed Cuckoo's calling flights?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: What is the function of Channel-billed Cuckoo's calling flights?
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:36:17 +1000
Well there is that, but CBCs often call when they are on their own with no others in earshot. They call when they are high up and not being mobbed, and they call when they are flying in circles closer to the ground. I have never heard one call near a fruit tree.

The thing is that a lone CBC calling would seem to be a more obvious target (given that it is calling attention to itself) particularly when it is flying high.

I have heard CBCs make a bit of a chuckling call that might be similar to a raptor.

Are there any published records of their behaviour when they are nest raiding?

Regards, Laurie.

PS I am not sure that it was a grammatical necessity to change the subject line. (I think that makes it a separate thread in the archives).