birding-aus

SPAM

Subject: SPAM
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:01:37 +1100
Followed the Bangalara films spam debate with interest. I have to agree that they did the wrong thing trying to market that way, it is clearly illegal.

SPAM is a _serious_ problem, people talk about the amount they receive and have to delete "not being a major problem" however I would venture that every internet provider and email service in Australia now has SPAM filtering on their servers, I'm with iiNet and their Spam filter seems very effective. I get about 1-2 Spam messages a week at maximum, but this is literally the tip of the iceberg. This link talks about what iiNet do to reduce Spam volume:

http://www.iinet.net.au/iinetwork/network-diagrams.html

Scroll down to the bottom, they claim they currently reject 98% of what comes in, if you google percentage of spam in email you'll see links with most sources claiming 80-90+% of email traffic is Spam. Basically everyone is paying for Spam in their internet fees and it clogs the internet slowing response. It is basically "postage due" mail as the end user ultimately pays for it. . So it is a serious problem and people well intentioned or otherwise should be discouraged from adding to the problem. Most internet savvy people would either delete at the server or ignore because the message smells of scam, the language used was the only thing that suggested it was possibly a genuine attempt. Having said all that hope they regroup, develop other means of fund raising and do produce a good doco.

Chris Ross