birding-aus

The things that cause angst on Birding-Aus

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: The things that cause angst on Birding-Aus
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:08:54 +1000
The discussion regarding the bulk posting from Balanagara soliciting funds for it's lyrebird DVD production provides an interesting insight into the online birding community.

It appears that the one thing that we dislike the most is being asked for money :)

One of the most annoying things about walking through the CBD are the fundraisers on the street trying to get us to sign up for regular financial contributions to their worthy cause. We develop the ability to walk purposefully so they know we aren't going to "buy" (and then they remember not to look hopefully at us the next day when we pass them again).

The thing is that you never know whether people are what they say, so you develop a natural suspicion of everyone asking for something, particularly if they are doing in online, and especially if they are "cold calling".

Anyhow, it is interesting to compare the length of the tread on the Balanagara spam to the follow-up to Del Richard's post about birders behaving badly at Wonga Beach. The behaviour of the birders intruding on private property to twitch the Spotted Whistling Ducks illustrates an important "cultural" issue that needs to be addressed by the birding community.

However, we don't want to talk about that. We want to twitch Hoopoes and avoid fundraisers.

;)

The interesting thing about online forums like birding-aus is that they don't appear to have a basis to reach and record consensus on issues like birder behaviour, fundraising and organised activities ...

Regards, Laurie.