birding-aus

kissing black swans and herpes ?? + NOT SO HERBIVOROUS AT NIGHT

To: <>
Subject: kissing black swans and herpes ?? + NOT SO HERBIVOROUS AT NIGHT
From: patrick appleton <>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 01:30:50 +1100
greetings everyone,

As a child who's best friend was a Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo in the mid 1970's
when the US cop show 'Barretta' had a cockatoo starring in it that took peanuts
from the mouth of its owner I naturally did the same with our family Cocky.

As my life now revolves around black swans and I spend most of my spare time
studying them I've found some of them to be extremely trusting.   Some of them
become very affectionate, especially after a month of hand feeding their
cygnets that climb on you and sleep on your lap!

It started with bread morsels between my lips, which the swan would take from
my mouth and at times I could just pucker up to the swan and I'd get a kiss
(even without the bread)!
A cold-sore appeared on my lower lip, ( which happens if I'm run down and
occurs about twice a year) and I was concerned about what harm I could be doing
to the swans.

THEN I READ ABOUT SWANS IN ENGLAND CARRYING HERPES !

I've sent an email to the site inquiring about their herpes  claim but not
received a reply yet.  DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THE
SUBJECT??????????????????????????????

ALSO

A few weeks ago in the middle of the night, mum, dad and 6 cygnets were
feasting on the tiny little fishes attracted by the light on the end of the
jetty.  This was an itinerant family and I have not studied their eating habits
before but I have never seen the resident swans eating little fish before.
There is plenty of natural swan herbal delicacies available as well as
lettuce,spinach & other human handouts so they are not hungry!

Could it just be a training opportunity for the 5 week old cygnets ???  (what
they can eat if need be)

I noticed Progress Jetty's dad swan take a 2 week old cygnet under his wings
during a threat display posturing session with another very large & ornamented
male which I assume was simply for training the baby as mum was right there and
could have taken junior or she could have taken care of the male intruder.  SO
I'm suggesting they have some interesting training techniques.
Pat Appleton