birding-aus

Parrots that harass raptors

To: "'Donald G. Kimball'" <>, <>
Subject: Parrots that harass raptors
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:41:11 +1100
Hello Don,

Yes Cockatoos are known to do this sort of thing sometimes. Or that is
to say Galahs and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos sometimes indulge in chasing
or shadowing in flight of raptors such as Brown Goshawks and Australian
Hobbies. Probably other people will tell you observations about other
species that do this. Of course many parrots are prey to many raptors. I
don't know that the parrots that harass raptors do it to the species
combinations that they may be at danger from. It does suggest to me
though that Galahs who often do this to Australian Hobbies and it as far
as I know not with Peregrine Falcons, that are a major predator, that
are able to distinguish the two species. Although I may be quite wrong
and that may just be that this is what I have seen or read about.

You have a curious renaming there. "Glossy-black Cockatoo" would totally
change the character of the name and suggested affinities of the bird.
That spelling would indicate that the bird is closer to the other
(white) cockatoos and not a member of the Black-Cockatoo group. It would
suggest the black is described as glossy. The actual name is a Glossy
Black-Cockatoo, which indicates it is a member of the Black-Cockatoo
group. Although how it became known as Glossy is a mystery to me.

Philip