birding-aus

Snipe Identification

To: "'Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Snipe Identification
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 01:02:01 +1100
G'day Keith, thanks for putting this bird up for us to scrutinize.

Are there any more photos and is this image at 100%, is my standard question
in these situations.
I can at least age it straight off as a first year bird, an obvious patch of
adult type coverts can be seen contrasting with the retained juvenile ones.
Would have been nice to see the juvenile greater coverts, I'm not sure why
they are not visible, maybe they are being moulted judging by the fresh
adult type inner most greater coverts which are visible.
It's also disappointing not being able to get a good take on perceived leg
length against body size, have you got other shots that show the legs
cleanly with the body side on.
Possible points in favour of young Swinhoes might be the overall darkness of
those juvenile tertials and also the fresh median coverts moulted in, photos
I have on file for first year Latham's in October still have a full set of
juv wing coverts however Swinhoe's juvs typically have fresh coverts in
October.
What was it when viewing this bird that prompted you to consider it possibly
different to Latham's, was it that the rear end diddn't look long enough.
It's hard to judge rear end from a single image and I have recently been
caught out making a judgement from one image. It's tempting to say it looks
slightly shorter ended but we are looking at a young bird.
Would love to see more photos.

Cheers Jeff.