birding-aus

RFI Victoria, South Australia, and Tazmania

To: "barry " <>
Subject: RFI Victoria, South Australia, and Tazmania
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 19:05:23 +1100
Hi Barry (and others),
The following may be useful for Tasmanian Endemics and other specialities for
those visiting Tasmania.  I can try to offer more specifics if you have
particular target species in mind.

Some of the endemics are common and widespread across the state.  Others are
far more restricted.  I have heard of some people 'bagging' all the endemics in
about half a day, but for that, you need to be in the right spots.  Actually,
it can be done quite close to Hobart.

All endemics occur on Bruny Island, and a visit there is well worth it.  Other
than Bruny, and Maria Island, the only spot you're likely to get Forty-spotted
Pardalote is at Peter Murrell Reserve, near Kingston.  Take Huntingfield Ave.,
just south of the Roundabout near the Antarctic Division.  Just south of the
Vodaphone warehouse, take the laneway down to the parking area for the reserve,
and walk in to and around the ponds.  40spots used to be pretty common here,
but have been becoming more scarce recently.  Still, the only place, really,
for 40spots on the mainland.  They are still reasonably common in Euc.
viminalis woodlands on north and south Bruny Island.

Tas Thornbills, and Tas Scrubwrens can be found in most wetter, forested areas
- try around Ferntree, on Mt Wellington.  Scrubtits should be found there, too,
though they are mostly in the densest, wetter forests.

Black-headed, Strong-billed and Yellow-throated honeyeaters are pretty common
in most woodland areas.  Yellow-wattebirds are in more open, drier woodlands,
especially in the south and east of Tassie.  Black Currawongs are in many
areas, but mostly highlands - Mt Wellington, Cradle Mountain, Lake St. Clair,
etc.

Green Rosellas are common in most woodlands and forests, and Native Hens are
common in pastures around creeks and dams.  Dusky Robins are fairly common in
paddocks, pastures and open areas close by forests.

Hope this is helpful.

John Tongue,
Ulverstone, Tas.