birding-aus

Of rats and owls and poisons

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Of rats and owls and poisons
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 10:35:04 +1000
Rats, I have lots of owls.

Actually I enjoy having the owls around. There is a Barking Owl in the trees to
the south of the house and at least one E. Barn Owl in the box on the northern
side right now. Boobook and Rufous Owls have visited in the last week and a
half.

They would be welcome anyway but are  particularly so because of the rats. A
plague of them is eating all my sweet potato, tomatoes and even taro. Many
oranges are also lost to the little B's. They have become trap shy so here is
the question: is there a poison out there which would not result in secondary
poisoning of the owls and snakes which share this place with me but take care
of the rats?

Regards,
Alan