birding-aus

Predator most fowl

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Predator most fowl
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 03:53:54 +1100
I didn't actually witness it myself, but was with a group that saw one take a
Dusky Moorhen chick. I certainly saw the parents' response.

Pizzey says they take young and eggs, and will eat dead birds. Small birds like
crakes keep well clear of them.

They also become unafraid of humans when regularly fed, and insistent. I'm
often approached by them at Newport Lakes (Melbourne), and it wouldn't surprise
me if they occasionally become aggressive when denied food. Perhaps that's what
happened in this case.

Peter Shute

Sent using BlackBerry