birding-aus

Transit Lists

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Transit Lists
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:11:37 +1000
Taking the scenic route on the way to work, 2 beaches, Cherry Lake, 2
creeks, 1 river & Westgate Park if I peer very carefully and get the eyes
focused just right through all the bridge wire.

Regularly seeing 27-33 species a day, until today I would have debated
whether Sooty Oystercatcher or Australasian Gannet was the best bird on the
transit list. After this morning's  journey, I now boast a transit list of
58 species, but none more extraordinary than today's addition.

As I travelled N up Millers Rd, having just passed Kororoit Creek Rd, a
large white bird with a raven hot on its tail burst out of a small stand of
trees towards the passenger window of my car. I glanced towards it to try
and determine whether it was a Sulfry or a Corella and was astonished to
find myself looking into the flat round face of a Barn Owl. Too much traffic
for the usual birding brake-slam, but the view in the mirror was of the owl
circling around behind me and heading back toward the trees with the raven
still in pursuit. The refinery on the other side of the road probably didn't
look to be an appealing habitat to hide in.

Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow and has certainly added an edge to
the trip to work. It will be a hard memory to beat...... maybe a bittern or
a rail hiding under the Kororoit Creek bridge as I pass overhead - but
probably not.

Cheers,

Joy Tansey

60 Myers Parade