birding-aus

Gluepot update

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Gluepot update
From: Peter Waanders <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:55:23 +0930
Hi all,
Some of you may think I start to sound like a broken record but birding at
Gluepot continues to among the best since I started going out there 14 (!)
years ago. Scarlet-chested Parrots continue to be seen (we had great views
of two brilliantly-coloured male parrots at less than 10 m distance
yesterday). They've now been present for almost two months. Hordes of
birders have now twitched these birds and if you're one of them and have
forgotten, or not had a chance to, pay your entry fee or make a donation,
please visit the Gluepot website ( www.riverland.net.au/~gluepot ) to do so
- a small gesture compared to all the money spent on petrol etc...!
Recently, good numbers of Black Honeyeaters have turned up and today the sky
appeared full of their 'see-see' calls. Striated Grasswrens once again
occupy most reasonably large patches of spinifex and an observer today
counted at least 12 in one spot! Many birds are breeding and I spent a
pleasant hour today wandering around photographing Crested Bellbirds, Varied
Sittellas, Brown Treecreepers, White-winged Trillers, Hooded Robins,
Chestnut Quail-thrushes and flocks of Woodswallows (photos on my website,
below). Of course the sought-after Red-lored Whistler continues to be seen
in a few places and Black-eared Miners are still regularly found in a few
small flocks, unfortunately mostly outnumbered by hybrids. The vegetation is
lush and colourful with many shrubs flowering at the moment, but things are
finally starting to dry out a little. It's looking very promising for the
months ahead!
cheers
Peter
----