birding-aus

Barham Ostriches, and others

Subject: Barham Ostriches, and others
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:36:58 +1000
Hi All,
Thanks to everyone who helped with info regarding the "Barham Ostriches".  We
visited there this morning, stopping at a couple of spots on the way for other
birds.  Arrived at Lashbrook Road (25-26km from Barham along the Barham Moam
Rd) at about 10:00am.  Lashbrook Rd is right at the eastern end of the
roadworks/detour, at present - as some have said, there are few other
landmarks!

We only drove about 200m up Lashbrook Rd from the main road before we spotted a
big male a few hundred metres off to the east (right) side of the road, in a
paddock of young wheat.  While photographing it, we saw two other, quite young
birds, walking past behind.  Got some pics of them, too.

Drove further up the road, and at 2.3km along from the main road, there are
some stock yards, with a shed back in the distance.  There were three more
birds near it, one a huge male.

We as far along Lashbrook Rd as we could before a gate, stopped and had a
cuppa, and searched the area for Chestnut-crowned Babblers, which Geoff Leslie
reported a few days ago.  Found lots of White-browed Babblers, but sadly no
Chestnut-crowneds among them.  Will have to hope for Gluepot the day after
tomorrow!!

Headed back to Vic, and looked for Johnston's Swap, between Kerang and Cohuna.
Very poor signage, though we eventually found Hird's Swamp.  Nice lot of
Black-talied NAtive Hens, White-winged Fairy-wrens, and numerous others.

Huge numbers of White-necked Herons everywhere!!

Now in Ouyen, heading to Nowingi Track tomorrow, then on to Waikerie in SA, for
Gluepot the next day.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

John Tongue and family
(normally) from Ulverstone, Tas.