birding-aus

RFI Adelaide to Alice OR Darwin to Broome after Christmas

To: Nikolas Haass <>
Subject: RFI Adelaide to Alice OR Darwin to Broome after Christmas
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:46:39 +1000
Hi Nikolas,

Darwin to Broome at the time of year you are talking about is still
mid-monsoon, so there are potential issues with flooding to contend with.  I
would say you definitely wouldn't be able to do the Gibb River Rd, and may
not be able to access a lot of the most pretty scenery in the region, though
the main highway still goes through some nice country.  Broome is extremely
hot and humid at that time of year, and you will need to check with the
Broome Bird Observatory as it usually closes for a month over the Christmas
period.  The road to the observatory is closed to all traffic when rain is
heavy enough, as the red soil turns to thick mud and any car passing through
can ruin the road surface.

Those difficulties aside, Broome is still my favourite birding place in
Australia and seeing flocks of 60,000+ shorebirds in January is worth some
heat and humidity in my opinion.

Cheers,
Chris Sanderson