birding-aus

Barham Ostriches

To: <>
Subject: Barham Ostriches
From: "Geoff Leslie" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:11:28 +1000
As a long-term Barham resident, I am not able to verify the 25 years someone
suggested that the ostriches have been there, but that's probably right.  I
have certainly seen them breed, with clutches of young ones and I have
counted 25 individuals on one occasion.  The farm has changed owners
recently but the new owners seem content to let them wander freely as did
the previous owner.
Lashbrook Rd also is the best place I know to find chestnut-crowned
babblers.  You need to drive to the very end and without going thru the gate
into the farm at the end of the road, look around there.  The c-c babblers
are usually in the box and saltbush scrub around the watercourse on the East
side of the road.  The road also afforded excellent displays last Summer of
Rufous and Brown Songlarks along with Singing Bushlark, allowing me to
compare and contrast as they were all in the one area along the fenceline
about half way down in the Dillon-bush grassland.

Geoff Leslie

Message: 13