birding-aus

Birdline Northern Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Northern Territory Weekly Update
Date: 5 Sep 2011 01:30:27 +1000

Birdline Northern Territory

Published sightings for the week ending 4 Sep 2011.

Sun 4 Sep Curlew Sandpiper Alice Springs Sewage Ponds
Single bird, still with remnants of breeding plumage. Was spending most of its time amongst the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers in EP7.
Chris Watson & Barb Gilfedder

Sat 3 Sep Large-tailed Nightjar Muirella Camping Area and Bubba Walk
Large-tailed Nightjar (2) seen beside road near Muirella campsite after dark. Both sitting calmly, but disappeared when we turned lights off. Pics taken
Janine Duffy, Roger Smith

Fri 2 Sep Partridge Pigeon, Chestnut-quilled Rock-Pigeon Nourlangie, Kakadu National Park (Gubara walk)
Partridge Pigeon (3) time: 09.51. 2 walking across Nourlangie Road, one flew off as we got out of car, another squatted in tussocks beside road and only flew when we were quite close. Flew off some distance and perched on quite a high branch where we could see silhouette. Pics taken. Another seen beside road into Gubara, only flew when we were very close Chestnut-quilled Rock-Pigeon (1) on rocky cliff above a small pool. Flew off as Roger approached. Later we both returned and it flew off again from same location. We sat and waited very quietly and eventually (at time: 13.39) the bird re-appeared at the top of the cliff and looked at us several times from several angles, giving us great views of its grey-spangled head and neck. Wonderful!! Pics taken
Janine Duffy, Roger Smith

Tue 30 Aug White-browed Treecreeper Larapinta Drive Rest Stop b/w G.H. t/o & Hmsbrg
White-browed Treecreeper (1) climber 3 different trees while I watched, starting at bottom of 2 smaller ones and in fork half way up of larger tree, photos
Richard Waring

Sat 27 Aug Gouldian Finch 3 kms south of Fergusson River, Pine Ck/Katherine
Single adult black-headed Gouldian at small creek 'rest stop' location 3 kms south of the Fergusson River bridge between Pine Creek and Katherine. Long-tailed, Masked, Double-barred and Crimson Finches also present, along with Yellow-tinted and Banded Honeyeaters, Northern Rosellas and Hooded Parrots among heaps of more common species. (apologies for delay in reporting, no access to do so before)
Colin Reid & Stuart Warren

Thu 11 Aug Grey Falcon Stuart HWY about 100KM south of Tennant Creek
While driving north I saw a light grey Falcon sitting besides the road in a tree. I stopped and turned the car. It was still in the same tree and I could see it briefly before it took off low. I got out of the car and walked in the direction where it went and found it again in a bare tree. Here I had another brief view before it took of again, clearly showing a grey mantle, pointed wings with the darker primairies.
Eldert Groenewoud

Birdline Northern Territory is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.