birding-aus

Re question of hunters in China - and BRASIL

To: Bob and Trish <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Re question of hunters in China - and BRASIL
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 17:48:35 +0930
Some years ago my Aboriginal relatives in western Arnhem Land reserved their
best hunting lagoon for birdwatchers.  The elders forbade anyone to shoot
there.  Unfortunately they received little encouragement.

For example a Scandinavian bird tour operator offered to donate $2000
towards training them as guides. But I couldn't find an organisation,
including Birds Australia, who thought it worth their while to handle
"such a small amount of money" for us.

--
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow B.A. Grad.Dip.Arts
1/7 Songlark Street, Bakewell NT 0832, AUSTRALIA

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate (Southern Cross University, NSW)
Interpreter/transcriber, Lonely Planet Guide to Aboriginal Australia
Vice-chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
www.fatbirder.com/
For copies of Birds of Australia¹s Top End or Quiet Snake Dreaming, visit
amazon.com
http://www.facebook.com/Wildlife.Tourism.Australia
http://wildlifetourism.org.au

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him
to hold in higher regard those who think alike
than those who think differently."
(Nietzsche)