birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 1 Aug 2011 01:30:39 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 31 Jul 2011.

Sun 31 Jul Lewin's Rail Mater Maria High School, Warriewood
2x Rails heard along the dense creek vegetation on the southern side of the school at 1700. One was calling within 2 metres of me for twenty minutes, but completely hidden due to the vegetation. Both the "advertising call" and the "grunt" were being performed.
Jon Spicer-Bell

Sat 30 Jul Brown Falcon, Hobby, Wedge-tailed Eagle Quorrobolong
5 Brown Falcons, 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles, 2 White-bellied Sea-eagles, 2 Nankeen Kestrels and an Australian Hobby were some of the 73 species seen during the visit of the Central Coast Group, Birding NSW to Quorrobolong near Cessnock. Grey-crowned Babblers were seen at 3 sites, Jacky Winters at 4 sites &, 2 Gang gangs were seen. Yellow-tufted & Fuscous Honeyaters, 2 Little Lorikeets and 2 White-bellied Cuckoo Shrikes were seen on the property "Iomar". Another Wedge-tailed Eagle & a Brown Falcon were seen at Mount Vincent enroute to Quorrobolong.
Alan Morris & 19 members of CCGBNSW

Sooty Owl Lady Carrington Drive, Royal National Park
Heard 1x Sooty Owl at 1900 at the southern end car park, then 1x Southern Boobook further in, and finally 1x Owlet Nightjar near the Bola Creek crossing, while spotlighting.
Jon Spicer-Bell

Brown Honeyeater Bundanoon (Morton National Park)
I was surprised and thrilled to see a Brown Honeyeater feeding in a wattle in the NP early this afternoon. My first BH for Bundanoon and the Southern Highlands. A local birder has seen them in the NP before.
Lorne Johnson

Fri 29 Jul Black-necked Stork Pioneer Dairy Wetlands, Tuggerah
A pair of Black-necked Storks were seen by the cattle leasees, Shane Blackmore and Vicki Barnes at the Pioneer Dairy Wetlands, Tuggerah, feeding in the Dairy Swamp last Thursday and Friday morning. They had departed by the time I reached there late morning. This is the second time this year that the Storks have come to visit this wetland.
Shane Blackmore and Vicki Barnes per Alan Morris

Superb Parrot McAlister St, Finley NSW
Flock of Superb Parrots feeding in flowering ironbark trees. Maximum number reported up to 40 birds. This flock of 9 birds shown in flight from one feeding tree to the next. Numbers of this species have been reported in the vicinity through out the winter.
Robert and Catherine Ryan

White-bellied Cuckoo- shrike Old Northern Rd Bucketty
White-bellied Cuckoo- shrike is a rare winter visitor to Central Coast. Seen feeding in flowering wattle about 2 km from intersection with George Downs Drive
Allan Benson

Gang Gang Cockatoos Belanglo State Forest
Paid a quick visit while travelling back from Goulburn to Sydney and came across a party of at least 12 feeding Gang Gangs.
Paul Johnstone

Thu 28 Jul Restless Flycatcher Randwick Environmental Park
Not a common bird in Sydney's Eastern suburbs
Paul Johnstone

Barn Owl Cobb Highway, Mathoura
While on a work related trip to Deniliquin from Echuca I saw to my dismay numerous owl road kills. I counted ten in all along a 30 kilometre section of the highway just south of Mathoura. The deceased owls consisted of 9 Barn Owls and one Southern Boobook, which was on the southern boundary of Mathoura. The attached photo is of a bird that would have been hit within the last 24 hours. Others completely dried out have obviously been dead for some time.
Andrew McCutcheon

Square-tailed Kite, Little Eagle, White-bellied Sea Eagle Vincentia NSW
All three birds observed hawking above the residential area of Vincentia around midday today.
Deryk Engel, Paul Burcher and Stephen Bloomfield

Wed 27 Jul Barn Owl Town Beach, Port Macquarie
Barn Owl trying to roost in a palm tree in the Sundowner Caravan Park.
Tim Morris

White-headed Pigeons Delhi Rd, North Ryde
6 White-headed Pigeons eating small berries. I saw 9 of these birds at this location last Friday and have seen them at this location 3 times since. Adult males, female and a juvenile bird seen.
Mark Young

Glossy Black Cockatoo Long Beach NSW (north of Batemans Bay)
Four Glossies observed flying over and through a stand of woodland that is present to the west of the township of Long Beach NSW.
Deryk Engel and Stephen Bloomfield

Brown Honeyeater (1) Majors Bay, Concord

Dion Hobcroft

Rose Robin South Mullion Creek Reserve
Rose Robin (2)
Neville Schrader

Musk & Scaly-breasted Lorikeet's Cumberland State Forest
Several Birds seen Feeding
Tony Dawe

Glossy Ibis, Wandering Whistle-Ducks Lake Russell
After checking on the pair of Green Pygmy-Goose on Smith's Road Lake (plus 22 Wandering Whistle-Duck there), found another 18 WWDs and a lone Glossy Ibis at Lake Russell. NB: Lake Russell is entirely on private land so you need permission to gain access, the owners of the property I have permission to enter told me that a couple from Nowra were recently found wandering around their distressed neighbour's property looking for the Pygmy-Geese!! Wrong Lake!!.
Dick Cooper

Broad-Billed Prion Racecourse Beach Ulladulla
Like everyone else we've had heaps of Pelagic birds off shore the last month or so. Today we had Broad-Billed,Salvin's and Fairy Prions at Racecourse Beach but sadly they were dead, being washed up on the beach. But it at least tells us there's more than just the Fairy Prions out there at the moment to keep a look out for. I've kept 3 carcasses to send to CSIRO at Canberra and I'm sure the Sydney Museum would welcome any other deceased birds found from up around there.
Bob Rusk

Tue 26 Jul White-bellied Sea-eagle Hume Highway (Between New Berrima and Medway)
A White-bellied Sea-eagle flew over my car as I drove along the Hume to work this morning, just before 7am. This is the furthest inland I've see a sea-eagle in the Southern Highlands.
Lorne Johnson

Flame Robin Dunkeld 10' Cell
Flame Robin (4)
Neville Schrader

Little Lorikeet Campbelltown
Circa fifteen Little Lorikeets were feeding in several flowering eucalypts (along with good numbers of Musk and Rainbow Lorikeets) in the car park of Macarthur Square shopping centre about 4pm. This is a reliable spot for Little Lorikeets in south-west Sydney - I've seen them several times there in the last eighteen months.
Lorne Johnson

Mon 25 Jul Grey Goshawk Wyong River Wyong Town Centre
White morph & Grey morph pair. Posssible likely breeding pair judging by antics.
Paul Shelley

Jacky Winter, White-throtaed Gerygone Glengarrie Rd, Marsden Park
Yesterday at Marsden Park I found another Jacky Winter at the end of Glengarrie Rd where I also had the over-wintering White-throated Gerygone (the one I had 2 months ago), a Rose Robin, a Fan-tailed Cuckoo perched on powerlines. Also I had a pair of Brown Falcons beside Richmond Rd (between South Creek and the Golf Course).
Edwin Vella

Sun 24 Jul Great Crested Grebe Wingecarribee Reservoir (between Bowral and Robertson)
At least 6 birds seen on Wingecarribee Reservoir, in early afternoon, from car park off Kangaloon Rd.
Lorne Johnson

Sat 23 Jul Shy Heathwren and Southern Scrub-robin Round Hill Nature Reserve
At least 3 pairs of both species seen at various spots around the reserve and heard several others calling. The mallee is just about to burst into bloom and there were plenty of honeyeaters feeding on both mallee and ironbarks beside the road near the rail crossing - White-fronted, Yellow-plumed plus the usual for the area. Alas, no malleefowl but we did see a female Gilbert's Whistler. Also some Grey-fronted Honeyeaters in the drier areas.
Max O'Sullivan

Shy Heathwren and Southern Scrub-Robin Round Hill Nature Reserve
A weekend at Round Hill produced at least 3 pairs of Shy Heathwren at various locations as well as Southern Scrub-Robin. The mallee is about to burst into blossom and honeyeaters are numerous in early flowering trees - White-fronted and Yellow-plumed being of most interest for us from the MIA. Also saw a female Gilbert's Whistler and a number of Grey-fronted Honeyeater in the drier areas of the reserve. Also found a flock of 30+ Turquoise Parrot on the ground feeding with Mulga Parrots at Binya on the way home - a beautiful sight.
Max O'Sullivan

Wed 20 Jul Spotted Harrier Approx. 20km north of Jerilderie
Pair of Spotted Harriers seen collecting nesting material beside Newell Highway.
John Harris

Tue 19 Jul Spotted Bowerbird Bingara township
Male Spotted Bowerbird seen drinking out of water trough in front yard of old house on outskirts of Bingara. Other birds recorded in same area were Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Blue-faced Honeyeater.
John Harris

Tue 12 Jul Menura novaehollandiae, Superb Lyrebird 333 Edinburgh Road, Castlecrag
Scott and Ingrid let Willoughby Council staff know that they had a female Lyre Bird through their garden twice in the last few weeks. so between the 12th and 19th of July. The photographs taken confirm the identification. It may be the same bird seen on the 19th of June in Willoughby.
Scott and Ingrid Graham

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.