birding-aus

Banded carcass

To: "'Steve'" <>, "'Paul & Irene Osborn'" <>, <>
Subject: Banded carcass
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:54:46 +1000
racing pigeon ....... That was my thought too on balance of probability.
Although the beak as described hardly matches a pigeon. To which I would
add it is common for the keratin of the beak to break off the bony base
of a bird's skeleton and decompose once a bird has died and the body
exposed to the elements. This can make the beak look big. Hard to
imagine though how the leg / feet skeleton of any dead bird could be
confused between a pigeon and a Black-tailed Native Hen. But then maybe
not so easy if you are not familiar with anatomy or seeing dead
birds.......

Philip