birding-aus

couple of questions

To: Tony Lawson <>,
Subject: couple of questions
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:58:02 +1000
NZ birds are less colourful than Australian ones - why?
A guess - far fewer species so far less need to be distinctive.
In Australia we have four Petroica Robins (Scarlet, Flame, Pink, Rose) in the east. Some of these overlap with others in habitat - therefore bright distinctive colours may be required in territorial males.

In NZ there are only two Petroica sp - the Tomtit (yellow breast S.Island, white in north) and the Robin - basically grey all over.
(The Chatham is Black Robin is black and a long way offshore).

I had a heated discussion with an English tourist about Mallards and Black/Grey Ducks, while observing mongrel hybrids in Christchurch. As she believed that ducks could not interbreed unless they were the same species, and therefore that the local Grey Ducks had 'deteriorated' by losing bright male colouring, she thought the introduction of Mallard to 'give them back their correct colours' was a Good Thing. When we were in NZ we saw only 2 pair of true Grey Duck on a very isolated South Island lake. Everything else was a Mallard/Grey hybrid.

Anthea Fleming