birding-aus

Brown Cuckoo-dove in Alice Springs

To: <>
Subject: Brown Cuckoo-dove in Alice Springs
From: "Christopher Watson" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 22:40:13 +0930
G’day all,

Received an interesting phone call this afternoon just as I was leaving work. A
report of a pair of Brown Cuckoo-doves seen in the vicinity of Plumbago
Crescent on the east side of Alice Springs.

The report came from a person who is an experienced birdwatcher and should know
what they are seeing. Certainly the person knows the differences between this
species and the most likely candidate for confusion in Alice Springs – the
feral Spotted Turtle-dove.

I haven’t been able to head over to look for them myself, but if any Alice
birdos are in the area it would be great to keep an eye out for these. As far
as I can tell there are no reports of this species in the NT, and they seem to
stick fairly close to the east coast. I have no experience with this species,
so I’d be interested to hear what people think of the chances of it turning up
here in Alice Springs.

Regards,

Chris Watson
Alice Springs