birding-aus

Grasswren viewing procedure

To: <>
Subject: Grasswren viewing procedure
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:41:08 +0930
Neville Cayley's "What Bird Is That" has for the White-throated Grasswren -

Nothing has changed.

I have heard of people bashing Spinifex to scare the little fellas out. I
have also watched my mate run around dunes for hours thinking he could see
one at break-neck speed.

I am a great believer in the tried and proven "Niven McCrie Grasswren
Viewing Method" as outlined in his excellent book "Finding Birds in Darwin,
Kakadu and the Top End"

He says, under the Gunlom section, to find a suitable habitat and "simply
wait and listen for the call" then it's quite easy to track them down.

My addition to this would be to utilise a suitable deck chair and take an
esky full of beer!

Steve Potter