birding-aus

Perth cockatoos

To: <>, <>
Subject: Perth cockatoos
From: John Graff <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 15:33:37 +0800
Hi Israel,

The answer to your first question is yes, there are plenty of introduced Little
(and Long-billed) Corellas in Perth. Western Corellas are in fact by far the
least common of the three species in the Perth area, although odd ones and twos
do occur

Identification of the two black-cockatoos is challenging. If you get a good
enough look, then the differences in bill length are usually reasonably easy to
pick up and probably the best way to separate the two species, but this can be
very difficult in more distant views, or flight views, or if the bill is
partially hidden by feathering on the face. With practice, calls are the other
'easy' way to separate the two species - Carnaby's flight calls are generally
more drawn-out and more noticeably disyllabic than Baudin's. There are also
differences in distribution and behaviour, although obviously these should be
used with caution because sometimes birds turn up where they shouldn't or do
things they shouldn't!! Within the Perth area, Baudin's is predominantly
restricted to the forests of the Darling Scarp, rarely occurring on the coastal
plain proper. Carnaby's also occurs on the Darling Scarp, but is also commonly
seen on the coastal plain, including the inner suburbs of Pert
 h, particularly in the non-breeding season (autumn-winter). Carnaby's also has
a wider diet than Baudin's, and is particularly fond of feeding on introduced
pines in the metro area, whereas Baudin's rarely (if ever) feeds in pines.
Overall however, the most reliabe features for ID are the bill and call. There
is more information on separating the two species at
http://wabirdingblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/id-feature-white-tailed-black-cockatoos.html,
 along with a YouTube clip and links to a couple of other useful pages to help
with the identification by call.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
John