birding-aus

Winter Rufous Songlark at Terrick Terrick NP, Vic

To: <>
Subject: Winter Rufous Songlark at Terrick Terrick NP, Vic
From: "Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 13:08:55 +1000
Last Saturday I spent a long half-day at Terrick Terrick NP, during which
time I saw a M-F pair of Rufous Songlark and at least 2 additional males. I
could not recall previously seeing this species in early winter in this area
and contacted Simon Starr (local guru), who confirmed the current presence
of the species and how unusual it is at this time of the year. I also posted
the sighting on Birdline Victoria.

Subsequent emailed comments by Mick Ramsey and Tim Dolby confirming that in
their experience this is a very unusual winter report at this site have led
me to make this posting for more general information.

I've been wondering if these are overwintering birds (resulting from last
spring/summer's good numbers of this species in south-eastern Australia?) or
uncommonly early returns for some reason.

Richard NOWOTNY

Port Melbourne, Victoria