birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 27 Jun 2011 01:30:11 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 26 Jun 2011.

Sun 26 Jun Rainbow Lorikeet Lyons, near corner Melrose Drive and Launceston Street
Just after midday. A pair of Rainbow Lorikeets in the Eucalypts on the western side of Melrose Drive just south of the Launceston St intersection. We didn't get a good look at them, but the calls as they flew off were unmistakable.
Nick Payne & Ann Armstrong

Double-barred Finch Newline Paddocks
24 Double-barred Finches - larger than usual number. Weebills and Eastern Rosellas also in good numbers. 2 Brown Treecreepers.
Frank Antram

Wed 22 Jun White-headed Pigeon Suburban garden in Cook ACT
Judging by the pictures in Pizzey, it was a female. When we first saw her, she was perched quite high up in a tree. She then came onto our bird-feeder and ate a fair bit of the seed, drank at our birdbath and then pottered around on the ground for some time. She then flew off, and we have not seen her since. All up, she must have been in our garden for about 45 minutes.
David Landon and Jeannie Gray

Wed 15 Jun White-bellied Sea-eagle Shepherds Lookout
As the mid-week outing assembled at 0910 a juvenile sea eagle came into view nearly overhead the car park. The group then descended into the Murrumbidgee Valley where more raptors were sighted, Peregrine & Brown Falcons, Nankeen Kestrel and 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles. On the climb back to the lookout several members reported a sighting of two sea eagles perched in a high distant tree.
Terry Bell & Terry Munro, co-leaders

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.