birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 20 Jun 2011 01:30:40 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 19 Jun 2011.

Tue 14 Jun Black-chinned Honeyeater Private Residence, Gawler East
Black-chinned Honeyeater (1) Lone bird calling loudly this morning and then returned (and finally seen) just after 2:00pm today, feeding amongst outer foliage of River Redgum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) in neighbours yard. Note : this is also the same tree used occassionally by Crested-shrike Tit/s I have reported on three occassions. Have also heard the same call at distance over the last week, coming from the vicinity of Dead Man's Pass Reserve and neighbouring properties.
David Hartland

Sun 12 Jun Hooded Plover Mouth Flat Beach KI
Hooded Plover (2) A beachwashed Shy Albatross was found on the beach.
Jane Renwick

Sat 11 Jun Eastern Curlew Thompson Beach
Eastern Curlew (3) 3 birds seen just north of central carpark, continued to move northward (flying 100-200m further along northern shore) as I approached (when counting other waders present) despite keeping a large distance myself, the birds seemed very wary. Saw again in late afternoon on beach at final path/access point to beach at terminus/north carpark on Esplanade.
David Hartland

Buff-banded Rail, Australian Spotted Crake, Eastern Curlew Thompson Beach
Buff-banded Rail (2) one spotted running across stagnant claypan at northern limit of tracks as I scoped for more Aus. Spotted Crake, second bird skulked back into samphire cover on claypan at terminus of Esplenade at southern end of town before being mobbed by Babblers and taking flight Australian Spotted Crake (11) Very confiding, spread throughout the northern limits of trails where stagnant pools with ample samphire cover were present Eastern Curlew (3) 3 birds seen between central carpark and 2nd access trail to north on Esplenade. Seemed wary and moved further north as I moved along shore.
David Hartland

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.