birding-aus

2011 Duck-Hunting Season Tally

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: 2011 Duck-Hunting Season Tally
From: Debbie Lustig <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 23:23:33 +1000
The following list identifies all the game species, protected and endangered
species and swan eggs found by duck rescuer/protesters during the 2011
duck-hunting season.
They are only a small proportion of an unknowable total, collected from just
six public wetlands ie McDonald Swamp, Hird Swamp, Lake Buloke, Lake
Connewarre, Dowd Morass and The Marshes; and a private wetlands near Melton.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/debbie-lustig/coalition-against-duck-shooting-2011-duck-rescue-results/10150275342128125
The protected species illegally shot - and abandoned - are as follows.
Please note one each of Freckled Duck and Blue-billed Duck:
22 Eurasian Coot
10 Black Swans/cygnets
8 Grebes (Australasian, Hoary-headed & Great Crested)
5 Plumed Whistling-ducks
5 Australian Magpies
5 Purple Swamphens
3 Musk Ducks
3 Dusky Moorhens
2 Little Ravens
2 Galahs 1 Little Button-Quail
1 Freckled Duck
1 Barn Owl
1 owl (unidentified)
1 bird of prey (unidentified)
1 Blue-billed Duck
1 Australasian Pipit
1 Black-winged Stilt
1 cormorant (unidentified)
1 Yellow-billed Spoonbill
Without editorialising too much here, I will say that the membership of BA and
BOCA comes to over 10,000. Holders of duck-shooting licences in Victoria number
only 21,000, of which perhaps half that number actively hunt.
Therefore, as birders, if we act together, we could be a powerful voice.
Individually, each one of us can request a meeting with our local MP to explain
our views and try to convince them to change their party's policy. Or send
letters, emails, or write to local papers.
We know there are both Labor and Liberal individuals who are privately against
duck hunting. It's a matter of changing their party's policies.