birding-aus

WF Honeyeater Minippi Survey results

Subject: WF Honeyeater Minippi Survey results
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:43:23 +1000
Hi

I asked for details from anyone who visited Minnippi to see the WF
Honeyeater as a matter of interest - and to prove to myself, I guess,
that it was worth the effort to advertise the bird's presence.

So far I have rec'd a number of replies and collating those with other
emails posted at the time of their visit some results are available...

Apart from the two original discoverers, 31 other birders, at least,
visited the location. I am confident that all but possibly one birder
were successful in their quest, which is always a nice outcome. Nothing
worse than chasing a bird to find it's gone... I believe there may be
several others who either didn't post or haven't responded to my request
- possibly they don't participate in this email group.

The shortest distance travelled to Minnippi was about 3 kms, the longest
 130 kms each way, from Toowoomba - although I understand the trip was
not just for the Honeyeater.

Of the 25 people who visited and responded with detail - 13 had seen the
bird before, 12 hadn't so it was a lifer for almost 50% - which again is
a nice outcome, i.e. to think we provided that opportunity just by
emailing our 'find'.... very satisfying!
Of the 13 who had seen the bird before some advised they wanted to add
it to their SE Qld list, others to add it to their Minnippi list and/or
year list.

Happily most of the birders who came appear to have had better views
than we did!

I haven't heard of it being seen since 5th June so if anyone does get to
go and sees it - pls let us know!!

and I am still interested in a response from anyone who hasn't yet -
i.e. was it a lifer/tick and how far you travelled?

Cheers

and thanks

Colin and Rob.

--