birding-aus

: Guides for Wildflowers and trees

To: "David James" <>, "Gordon and Pam Cain" <>
Subject: : Guides for Wildflowers and trees
From: "Tony Lawson" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:31:29 +1000
I suggest the new edition of Fairley & Moore. Here is a recent review
Native Plants of the Sydney Region.

Alan Fairley and Philip Moore. 3rd Ed. Allen and Unwin. 624 pages. RRP $60

My original copy of the first (1989) edition of this classic is much-battered, despite its plastic covering. This is because, despite it being an A4-sized hardback, I have always used it as a field guide. And although it limits itself to the area from Nowra to Newcastle, and inland to include all the Blue Mountains, I always take it to areas south of that. I missed the second edition (2002), so am even more ready than I would have been for this landmark reissue. Nor is this in any way just a reprint; it represents a total rewrite, taking into account the rapidly-changing taxonomic understandings in some groups. (What to adopt of these changes is a vexed issue for an author of any field guide of course, and must be subjective. With regard to orchids they have, somewhat courageously, opted to go for David Jones' breakup of Caladenia, but not Pterostylis. The rationale for this is not offered.) Another significant change is in the size; while it is still a decidedly chunky lump of a book, it is now A5 ie only half the dimensions, and very suitable for a backpack. While the blurb claims 'many new photographs', some random sampling suggests that at least since 1989 they have all been replaced, and the quality is generally good. While I have long been on record as preferring well-painted illustrations for a field guide over photos, I must admit that the task of so illustrating 1400 species would be a daunting - and expensive - one. If you have an interest in plants, and spend a reasonable part of your time in the area north-east of Canberra, I think you need this book; this is certainly true if you own the first edition, but if you have the 2002 version you might like to have a look to see if you think it's worth it. My old one is about to enter a restful retirement, and itsyounger sibling will be getting a thorough workout, starting very soon!

Ian Fraser is a Canberra-based professional naturalist