birding-aus

Year List Ethics

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Year List Ethics
From: David James <>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:50:00 -0700 (PDT)
Has the original question been answered?

The answer is that it depends whether you are:
setting a specific challenge, goal or activity for yourself;
abiding by a set of rules for a competition ("listing");
recording the presence of birds in a particular area.

WRT recording presence, I use every reliable sign available. Depending on the
species and context I have used (alone and in combinations) sightings, calls,
mechanical sounds (bill clapping, drumming, wing beats, and the sound of a
silent owl in a silent forest landing on a branch), secondary calls (i.e. alarm
calls), carcasses, feathers, bones, nests (including burrows, hollows and woven
nests), display sites (bowers, leks, mounds), feeding signs (ground
scratchings, chewed cones, prey remains [carcasses, feather piles, pitta
anvils, bird heads, possum tails, pellets], plant damage, etc), droppings, foot
prints (especially Cassowaries), at least.

If the question was "what are the rules for year ticking competitions" it
depends who the competition is with.  I would say year lists are not about
recording the "presence" of birds during a year, but about what a person
records, or what a person sees. I suspect that the big Australian year lists
(Wheeler, Bartram, Entwhistle and Dooley) and International year lists did NOT
count heard birds on their year lists. Perhaps Sean can advise.