birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 13 Jun 2011 01:30:48 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Jun 2011.

Sat 11 Jun Barking owl Capertee valley
Arrived Capertee Valley late Friday night saw six Barking Owls managed to get quite a few good photos.
Tony Dawe

Fairy Terns & Little Penguins Warden Head Ulladulla
Just off shore a flock of 10 Fairy Terns were seen following a mob of L. Penguins for app 30 mins and scooping up anything that was forced to the surface. There were plenty sightings of most of the birds reported earlier on the Friday. We've also had at Burrrill Lake 14 Caspian Terns all week due to the big seas I imagine.
Bob Rusk

White-fronted Tern Tacking Point, Port Macquarie
1 bird foraging out from the lighthouse. A Pied Oystercatcher also flew by.
Clive Meadows

Fri 10 Jun Buller's Albatross and Great-winged Petrels Magic Point, Maroubra
The highlight of the afternoon was an adult Buller's Albatross. Lots of birds were around including : 45 Great-winged Petrels, 55 Black-browed Albatross, 25 Shy (type) Albatross, only 7 Yellow-nosed Albatross, 5 Brown Skuas, 2 Giant Petrel (sp), 3 Prion (sp), 50 Fluttering Shearwaters plus plenty of Humpback Whales and Bottle-nosed Dolphins. Next few days look awesome !
David Mitford

Black Falcons Scone
A pair of Black Falcons circling low over Scone township this afternoon. They were concentrating on St.Lukes Church,probably trying to flush Rock Doves.They were low enough to id without binoculars, but I went and got some binoculars to make sure.
Greg Newling

Thu 9 Jun Regent Honeyeater and Little Lorikeet Sub-Station Site, Pourmalong Ck Morisset
A visit early in the day between 11-12 am found many Yellow-faced, White-cheeked, White-naped Honeyeaters and Noisy Friarbirds and about 26 Little Lorikeets but no Regent Honeyeaters. However on a return visit at 3.30 pm I saw and photographed two Regent Honeyeaters feeding in Swamp Mahogany flowers, and many more Little Lorikeets.
Michael Dahlem

Swift Parrot, Scaly-breasted Lorikeets Joshua Porter Res, Chain valley Bay Sth
About 20 Swift Parrots seen and photographed at this location, mostly in the trees directly above the picnic tables and near the toilet block. The Swift Parrots were seen feeding in Swamp Mahogany and Blue Gum flowers and on lerps in the Blue Gums Also seen were several pairs of Scaly-breasted Lorikeets and the probable Scaly-breasted x Musk Lorikeet hybrid was also seen and photographed again!
Michael Darlem

Scarlet Honeyeater etc Bobbin Head Tk. Kuring-gai NP
12+ Scarlet H/e on Sphinx entry Rd showing and calling - mostly red birds. 2 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos seen feeding on Hakea spp at ground level. A dozen Noisy Friarbirds and a Fantail Cuckoo.
Harry Roberts

Powerful Owl Woodfield Avenue, Bundeena, Royal National Park, NSW
One bird currently calling out the front of my house (20.52hours).
Deryk Engel

Topknot Pigeon Ourimbah
Around 300 Topknot Pigeons seen feeding this morning.in Caampusmphor laurel trees and Privet aroud the Unviversity Campus
Mike Kuhl

Wed 8 Jun Brahminy Kite Wybung Head, Munmorah State Conservation Area
A single adult Brahminy Kite was seen and photographed at Wybung Head out over the sea. This is only the 4th record for a Brahminy Kite on the Central Coast and the last report was at Wondabyne in 1998.
Mi9chael Dahlem

Whiskered Tern Centennial Park - Kensington ponds
A juvenile (but red-legged) Whiskered Tern fishing at Kensington ponds this afternoon.
Bas Hensen

Tue 7 Jun Glossy Black Cockatoo Old Telegraph Road, Maroota,, noth west of Sydney
Two Glossies observed feeding in a Casuarina immediately south of the intersection of Old Telegraph Road and Roberts Road.
Deryk Engel and Stephen Bloomfield

Swift Parrot Joshua Porter Reserve, Chain Valley Bay
Swift Parrot 8 adult Swift Parrots seen feeding in the swamp mahogany near the boat ramp.
Narelle Power and Damian White

Regent Honeyeater Morisset Sub-station site
Regent Honeyeater Approximately 4 Regent honeyeaters seen feeding on swamp mahogany blossom between approximately 1.30pm and 2.30pm
Narelle Power

Mon 6 Jun Powerful Owl Turramurra, The Chase Rd (Eastern Rd end)
Calls heard 23.30, N side of the Chase Rd. We think it was in a tall eucalypt adjacent to our property. Calling ceased after several minutes.
Jill Rossiter & Sue Casson

White-headed Pigeons Turramurra Railway Station
Four birds on overhead wires, mid-afternoon.
Harry Roberts

Sun 5 Jun Red-necked Avocets Bushells Lagoon Rieby farm section in Western end.
19 Red-necked Avocets at the far west section of the lagoon. These birds could only be seen from the top of the hill in Brewers Lane as they are in the furthest lagoon, that is probably the reason that Edwin did not report them on the 6th. The lagoon which is part of Bushells is on private land and the owner tells me they have been there for some days but they have been absent all today.
keith brandwood

Rufous Songlark Mates Gully TSR near Tarcutta
A very late record for this species, perhaps over-wintering in that region? (Moderators Note: Rufous Songlarks regularly overwinter on the Western Slopes and Plains- AKM)
David McDonald

Sat 4 Jun Superb Parrot Australia Telescope radio observatory 25 km west of Narrabri
C. Kellenberg just told me on the phone that, later than usual, some Superb Parrots have arrived again near Narrabri. They have been spotted there in previous years, but usually in late summer/autumn. Now they have apparently arrived in mid-May. Up to 12 birds were spotted over the course of two weeks; the most recent sighting was on 4 June. (Moderators Note; I have consulted he NSW Annual Bird Reports 1970-2005 and although not many records, Superb Parrots have been recorded in the Narrabri area from April-October, the max number being 200 in August 2001, so a June record would not be considered unusual -AKM)
Michael Dahlem (on behalf of C. Kellenberg)

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.