birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 13 Jun 2011 01:30:39 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Jun 2011.

Sun 12 Jun Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo Kewarra Beach foreshore, Cairns Northern Beaches
The group of 50 or so birds is still present around Cairns, still feeding on the fruiting beach almonds. All of these individuals were seen flying over my place on Monday 6/06 in one huge flock - the count was 53 birds of mixed sexes & ages. This morning, 18 of these birds were feeding on these fruits at the Kewarra Beach foreshore reserve, allowing for some nice images to be taken. I wonder for how long these locally rare visitors will remain in this area !?
Martin Cachard

Sat 11 Jun Dusky Moorhen Centenary Lakes, Cairns
I have been observing an immature Dusky Moorhen at the freshwater lake for the past fortnight. It was again there yesterday when my attached photo was taken. This species is decidely uncommon on the Cairns lowlands, although one or two birds turn up at this site every few years or so.
Martin Cachard

Wed 8 Jun Little Kingfisher Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Julatten, QLD
After absence of two weeks Little Kingfisher returned to Crake Pool and was seen late afternoon perching and diving into pool.
Keith Fisher

Tue 7 Jun Black-faced Monarch Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Julatten, QLD
One adult foraging along edge of rainforest in orchard late afternoon. This is the first record in six years of this species being present in June, overwintering bird? There have been previous records in July.
Keith Fisher

Sun 5 Jun Wompoo Fruit-Dove; Brown Goshawk Mount Louisa (Home)
4:25pm - One Wompoo Fruit-Dove roosting in the Silky Oak tree in the neighbour's back yard, which also reaches over into our back yard. It was harassed by the local family of Australian Magpies who "own the tree", until it was forced to depart. About 2 minutes later a Brown Goshawk flew into the same tree, chased off a couple of Great Bowerbirds before the Magpies gave it its departure medicine also. Great stuff at home.
Len and Chris Ezzy

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.