birding-aus

Year List Ethics (Poll)

To: Max Breckenridge <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Year List Ethics (Poll)
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 03:09:29 +0000
Hi Max,

It's really up to you and your social context. This is my understanding of the
context.

- The general principle for a year list is that a bird can be identified by
sight or sound. This principle also applies to formalised survey work i.e.
conservation and research surveys (unless you state otherwise) and to the
Australian Twitchathons and Big Years (unless you state otherwise).

- For life lists the basic principle is that you need to see the bird. Some
observers also suggest that you should determine diagostic features of the bird
with you own eyes.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby