birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 6 Jun 2011 01:31:04 +1000

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 5 Jun 2011.

Sun 5 Jun Black-necked Stork Bishops Marsh
One individual on edge of swamp with two brolgas
Dezmond Wells

Australian Hobby Bongaree, Bribie Island
Have noticed a few Hobby around the Island over the last couple of weeks. Today, we had excellent views of a smallish male sitting about 3 metres up on an exposed branch. He didn't seem to mind our presence and sat there while I went home for binoculars - still there on our return. About 4 pm, saw one scream across our street in pursuit of a Crested Pigeon - did not see the result.
Brian & Meg Johnson

White-fronted Honeyeater,Eastern Spinebill Minnippi
White-fronted still present in same area (been here a month now!). Also 1 Eastern Spinebill down woodland track,my 1st record at Minnippi.
Stuart Pickering and Andy Jensen

Sat 4 Jun Ground Parrot Peregian Beach, Sunshine Coast
3 heard at sunset
Greg Roberts

Lewin's Rail Peregian Beach, Sunshine Coast
2 seen and 2 heard
Greg Roberts

Australasian Gannet Off Woorim Beach, Bribie Island
A number of gannets were diving on bait-fish just offshore. There were juv., imm. & adults involved. (Worth reporting - a very large marlin that jumped right out of the water nearby as well as many mackerel chomping into the bait-fish)
Brian & Meg Johnson

Noisy Pitta Witches Falls National Park
Noisy Pitta (1) One bird showing well 100 yards along the cemetery track at the start of the circuit
Ged Tranter

Pink-eared Duck Kedron Brook Wetlands
Single bird in amongst Chestnut Teal on the main pool from Toombul Road roundabout.
Andy Jensen

Wed 1 Jun 1 Jabiru, 2 Pied Cormorants, 2 Wedgetail Eagles, 7 Pelicans Stanage Bay
Alll birds were soaring very high and dissapearing into the clouds at times. The Cormorants appeared to accompany the Jabiru.
Mal & Jan Ibbotson, Val Cooper, C.M. Lear

200+ Chestnut-breasted Mannikin, 1 Buff-banded rail. 3 Bar-breasted Honeyeaters Stanage Bay Dam
This is only our second sighting of the buff-banded rail
Jan & Mal Ibbotson, Val Cooper, C.M. Lear

Tue 31 May GREY FALCONS and RUFOUS-CROWNED EMU-WRENS Lark Quarry CP, about 100 Km from Winton
While staying at Carisbrooke Station a visit to LQCP was highlighted by sighting some beautiful Rufous-crowned Emu-wrens and 4 Grey Falcons. The GFs were on the Telstra tower on the Winton-Jundah Road at junction of road into LQCP. 2 GFs were joined after some time by a third and then some time later by a fourth when all flew around beside the tower and then away.
Peter McGinley

Swift Parrot Old Wallangara Rd
4-6 Swift Parrots were seen at Old Wallangara Rd, south of Girraween National Park.
Stuart Warren per Tim Dolby

Sat 28 May Buller's Albatross, Noisy Pitta North Stradbroke Island
Buller's Albatross (1) Came in from the north, appeared beaten back by the strong SE wind, last seen apparently alighting on the water near Flat Rock. Noisy Pitta (1) On headland beside walking track
Stu Warren, Rob Dougherty, Colin Reid

Wed 25 May Striated Grasswren Lark Quarry
Striated Grasswren were recorded near the airport at Lark Quarry.
Roy and Helen Sonnenburg per Tim Dolby

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia Southern Queensland and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.