birding-aus

Trans-equatorial Migrants

Subject: Trans-equatorial Migrants
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 17:36:37 +0800

Thanks to all the people who replied, and particularly to Murray Lord who pointed me to two papers published in Emu.

Dingle, Hugh (2004), The Australo-Papuan bird migration system: another consequence of Wallace's Line, Emu, 2004, 104, 95-108, CSIRO Publishing

My assumption that it was 10 trans-equatorial "land bird" migrants to mainland Australia was wrong.  It included PNG.

The paper includes a table :

Oriental Cuckoo
White-throated Needletail
Fork-tailed Swift
Yellow Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Barn Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Gray's Warbler
Oriental Reed-Warbler
Grey-spotted Flycatcher

Note that the table in the paper has the wrong scientific names for the two wagtails.

Of these ten, you can consider six of them as being regular migrants to mainland Australia (seven if you split Yellow Wagtail into Eastern Yellow Wagtail and Green-headed Yellow Wagtail).  Grey Wagtail and Oriental Reed-warbler have occurred but could not be considered regular.  I am not aware of any Australian mainland records for Gray's Warbler and Grey-spotted Flycatcher.

I suggested Dollarbird and Eastern Koel.  Apparently the Australian birds don't cross the equator.

Other people have suggested :

Garganey - The list turned out to be "land birds", so would not be one of the 10.  They used to be regular migrants in very small numbers as late as the 1990's but I haven't heard of many records in the last decade.

Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo - Rare in Malaysia & Singapore. I don't know if this means 'vagrant' or regular in very small numbers, and I don't know if they would be Australian birds.

Rainbow Bee-eater - I don't believe these cross the equator in regular numbers.
Sacred Kingfisher - ditto.
Glossy Swiftlet - This is a vagrant to Australia, not regular

The second paper is a "Rowley Review" paper in Emu more recently.  This is available on the web :

http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=MU08010.pdf

Dingle, Hugh, Bird migration in the southern hemisphere: a review comparing continents, Emu, 2008, 108, 341-359, CSIRO Publishing