birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 30 May 2011 01:30:31 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 29 May 2011.

Tue 24 May Black eared Miner-- BEM/YTM Hybrid Mournpall Track Hattah Kulkyne NP, Victoria
After seeing and photographing hundreds of yellow throated miners we believe we saw 3 birds that filfil the description of a valid black eared miner. At Hattah Kulkyne there are plenty of parrots and we had excellent sightings of variegated and splendid wrens, chestnut rumped thornbills, black headed sitellas, several honeyeaters with yellow plumed in plague proportions. The Raak plain in Murray Sunset NP also yielded the same interesting variety of birds. Weather conditions are not conducive to exploring as most tracks are very wet and suitable for 4WD only at the moment. Moderators note: Following a review of this photo we consider this bird to be close to a typical Black-eared Miner, with some characteristics shared with BEM/YTM hybrids
hedley and Irena Earl

Sun 22 May Grey Falcon Stuart Hwy at 24 54 18S 133 11 46E, Northern Territory
Grey Falcon (1) Bird was sitting in a dead tree near the rest stop in late morning. Seemed to be watching four Australian Hobbies playing in the wind.
Jeanie Burrell

Gouldian Finch Lady Loretta Mine Rd, NW of Mt Isa, Queensland
Four adult black-headed Gouldian Finches (males and females) and about ten immature birds at a water hole beside the road, approximately 20 km down the Lady Loretta Mine Road, northwest of Mt Isa. The Gouldians were drinking with Zebra and Painted Finches and Pictorella Mannikins.
Philip Maher

Sat 21 May Regent Honeyeater Morisset, New South Wales
No less than 8 Regent Honeyeaters at Morisset this morning feeding on Swamp Mahogany blossom. 4 birds seen at a previous (2002) roosting site this afternoon. Widespread blossom in the area attended by large numbers of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters and, in order of abundance, Noisy Friarbirds, White-cheeked Honeyeaters, Eastern Spinebills, White-naped Honeyeaters, Little Lorikeets, Rainbow Lorikeets, Scarlet Honeyeaters, Brown-headed Honeyeaters, Fuscous Honeyeaters and Little Wattlebird.
Allan Richardson and Mick Roderick (Afternoon)

Sun 8 Jun Pied Heron Glebe Park, Bega, New South Wales
David James and I enjoyed the adult Pied Heron at midday on Sunday. Later observed a few White-headed Pigeons in the same area. At Eden Wharf 10 Pacific Gulls and 3 Black-faced Cormorants. At Mimosa Rocks NP a pair of Sooty Owls showed very well. Near Merimbula turn off on Princes Hwy a male White Goshawk gave a great view. Also near Bega a hybrid Crimson-Eastern Rosella was a first for me. Thanks to the original finders of the Pied Heron for reporting this rarity.
Dion Hobcroft

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.