birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 16 May 2011 01:30:36 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 15 May 2011.

Sun 15 May White-tailed Tropicbird Leongatha, Victoria
An immature White-tailed Tropicbird landed on a main road in Leongatha yesterday. This is over 40 km inland. It was rescued just prior to being crushed by a truck and is now in care and doing well. This follows a period of wet and windy weather.
Per Mike Carter

Sat 14 May South Island Pied Oystercatcher Point Halloran, Queensland
SIPO present again this afternoon, from at least 15:30 onwards on the rising tide. In previously described location opposite 21 Orana Esplanade.
Andy Jensen, Stuart Pickering et al

Wed 11 May Snipe sp. Perth, Western Australia
On a recent visit to Perth I photographed, on three consecutive days, what I believe to be a snipe, on an almost dry pond in a Perth suburb (cnr North Lakes Rd and Le Souef Ct.) [Ed. note: the identity of this bird is under discussion - it now looks likely that this is Pin-tailed Snipe. TD].
George Lewis per Mike Carter

Tue 10 May Northern Giant-Petrel Agnes Water (between Bundaberg and Gladstone), Queensland

Simon Speck

Sun 8 May South Island Pied Oystercatcher Point Halloran , Queensland
Just received a call from Paul Walbridge advising that there was a SIPO at Point Halloran this morning. Brian Russell found it two weeks ago but wasn't then entirely confident of the ID. They now have numerous photos. It was with 80 OZPO's of NSW and SE Qld origin. Apparently the waders assemble there on a rising tide but then move on if the tide height is greater than 1.8 m as it was this morning
Paul Walbridge per Mike Carter

Fri 6 May Red Goshawk Florence Falls, Litchfield National Park, Northern Territory
A Red Goshawk was sighted at Florence Falls on the Shady Creek walk. It was seen in the woodland to the north of the creek, and flew off into the monsoon forest.
Penny & Martin Potter; Alison Foley

Fri 29 Apr Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus phillippensis) Finke River, Glen Helen Gorge, West MacDonnell Ranges, Northern Territory
I saw this species on my recent holiday to central Australia. It was running around amongst the reeds of the Finke River. This location is way out of its range according to my field guide. But it couldn't be anything else. I got a good view of it. Cheers David
David Judge

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.