birding-aus

Nikon binocular prices

To: 'Bob Lake' <>, 'birding-aus' <>
Subject: Nikon binocular prices
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 12:18:42 +1000
I've had Nikon Monarch 8x42s for over a year, and I'm happy with them. I'd
prefer a wider field of view like my old Bushnell Legend porros, but their
field of view is fairly standard and I'm used to it now.

I thought it would be good to have tethered objective covers, but they
eventually started falling off all the time, like everyone else's, so I've
removed them to avoid losing them. I wear glasses, so the eyecups are always
down, but I'm heard complaints, possibly from owners of previous models, of
eyecups eventually coming off if they're raised and lowered a lot.

There have been several Monarch series, mine are sometimes called the Monarch
III, and I assume that's what you'd be getting.

I think I paid about $330 from B&H in the USA, including shipping, and I don't
recall anything about extended warranties. I have a vague memory of confirming
that the warranty would be valid here, but I'm not sure. At that price,
providing they arrive in working order, it's not that big a risk. I think at
the time I would have had to pay at least $500-$600 to buy them in a shop here,
so with the savings I could just buy another pair if something happened.

Would an extended warranty bought from a dodgy dealer be worth the expense?

Peter Shute