birding-aus

Bladensburg NP Queensland

To: <>
Subject: Bladensburg NP Queensland
From: "Roy & Helen Sonnenburg" <>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:52:02 +1000
We recently returned from an 8 day visit to Bladensburg NP  (just south of
Winton Queensland) where we spent the time doing bird surveys with Andrew
Ley and his group.  We tried to survey as much of the park as we could
access.  Saw many great birds.  We saw several pairs of Rufous-crowned
Emu-wrens including in the car park area at Lark Quarry Conservation Area
where we also did some survey work.  The only Striated Grass-wrens were near
the airport at Lark Quarry - we found none in Bladensburg NP.  Spinifexbirds
were very common in the Park and there were plenty of Hall's Babblers in the
southern part.  We did not find any Pictorella Mannikins on the trip.  We
had several sightings of Painted Finches.  All in all a great trip and it
was good to explore the park so thoroughly.

Over the past 20 years or so,  Andrew and his team have systematically
surveyed Currawinya, Diamantina and now Bladensburg NP's.  Andrew is an
extremely experienced ornithologist and has been awarded the 2010 Hobbs
Medal from Birds Australia (for his efforts as an amateur ornithologist).

Cheers

Roy