birding-aus

[Spam] Re: who calls Grallina cyanoleuca what...

To: "Wendy" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: [Spam] Re: who calls Grallina cyanoleuca what...
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 14:27:44 +1000
From: "Wendy" <>
I don't have them to hand to check, but I expect the habitat based Gould League little books and posters, that I grew up with, called them Mud Lark.

Hi Wendy, and all,
I grew up in the outer ne suburbs of Melbourne (Diamond Creek - wasn't really a suburb then) and we called them Mudlarks. Interestingly enough though, after reading Wendy's message I looked up the Gould League books. As I have mentioned previously Dad edited them in their first manifestation, and even the earliest of those use Magpie-lark, although a reprint of the 2nd book (The Ranges) lists Mud-lark with a referral to Magpie-lark and both Mud-lark and Peewee are listed as alternative names in the index after Magpie-lark. I checked the posters as well and found the same names (with brackets for Mudlark and Peewee) used.

Dad never tried to correct our use of Mudlark, as I can remember, so Mudlark has stuck for me! I'm waiting till they change the official back to what I grew up with - don't think I'll win with this one though.
Cheers
Elizabeth