birding-aus

who calls Grallina cyanoleuca what...

To: <>
Subject: who calls Grallina cyanoleuca what...
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:57:51 +1000
The range of answers is not surprising. Another interesting thing though
was the transition from the 1978 Recommended name of Australian
Magpie-lark to the 1994 Recommended name of Magpie-lark. That because
there was nothing elsewhere in the world called Magpie-lark, so
including the word Australian was not necessary. Who wants overly long
names for common birds? One could just wonder why the word Australian
was used in 1978 (or earlier). It implies a bit of lose thinking of an
unnecessary connection or comparison to the name Australian Magpie that
was used to differentiate our magpie from the various species of magpies
(related to crows) of the northern hemisphere.

Philip