birding-aus

White-fronted Honeyeater, Minnippi Parklands, Brisbane, Qld

To: <>
Subject: White-fronted Honeyeater, Minnippi Parklands, Brisbane, Qld
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 18:35:53 +1000
Interesting. I had the privilege of one of these in my garden in
Canberra in July & August 2007. It was only the second ever record in
the ACT (the first was at Jerrabomberra wetlands a few weeks earlier).
It was seen by me everyday for nine weeks and something like 60 people
came to see it. Lots of photos taken by many people and I and other have
hours of video taken of it. It was astonishingly reliable and generally
the longest daytime period that anyone had to wait to see it was about
20 minutes but usually less than one minute. As far as I know of the 60
or so people who came (some from far away) to see it, only one person
missed out.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Colin R
Sent: Sunday, 8 May 2011 6:19 PM        To:
Subject: White-fronted Honeyeater, Minnippi Parklands,
Brisbane,Qld

A single White-fronted Honeyeater was observed this morning from 8.30 -
(at least) 10.30 and finally at 17.00 tonight high in the canopy on the
edge of the forest at the south end of the park, between Bulimba Ck and
the forest trail entrance. Look for the metal box on the short pole
numbered 269 beside the Gas pipeline sign and check out the canopy from
there. It appeared to favour two or three tress at that point, but did
move further into the forest at times. This bird was in company with
Scarlet Honeyeaters and aggressively chased them from the canopy.
Sightings were difficult but patience rewarded - it disappeared for up
to an hour at a time, but returned to the same two or three trees.
Photos have been taken but are proving difficult to publish currently.
Observed by Rob Dougherty, Stuart Warren, Andy Jensen and Stuart
Pickering. Most of us with previous experience of this species
elsewhere. If more info is required will be happy to assist any
interested parties
- pls call 0412 522 962.

Cheers

Colin